Engage, Connect, Protect: Empowering Diverse Youth as Environmental Leaders (Paperback)
Building environmental strength through a diversity of youth
Engage, Connect, Protect explodes the myth that environmental issues are primarily of interest to wealthy white communities.
Revealing the deep and abiding interest that African American, Latino, and Native American communities--many of whom live in degraded and polluted parts of the country--have in our collective environment, Engage, Connect, Protect is part eye-opening critique of the cultural divide in environmentalism, part biography of a leading social entrepreneur, and part practical toolkit for engaging diverse youth. It covers:
- Why communities of color are largely unrecognized in the environmental movement
- How to bridge the cultural divide and activate a new generation of environmental stewards
- A curriculum for engaging diverse youth and young adults through culturally appropriate methods and activities
- Resources for connecting mainstream America to organizations working with diverse youth within environmental projects, training, and employment.
Engage, Connect, Protect is a wake-up call for businesses, activists, educators, and policymakers to recognize the work of grassroots activists in diverse communities and create opportunities for engaging with diverse youth as the next generation of environmental stewards, while the concern about the state of our land, air, and water continues to grow.
- GOLD 2020 Living Now Awards: Evergreen Medal for Nature Conservation