Cass Turnbull's Guide to Pruning, 3rd Edition: What, When, Where, and How to Prune for a More Beautiful Garden (Paperback)
Covering 160 plants with clear instructions and illustrations, Cass Turnbull will show you exactly how to prune any plant in your garden. This third edition of Cass Turnbull's Guide to Pruning covers more than twenty additional plants in three new chapters. The result is the new definitive guide for the home gardener with friendly, expert advice from Cass Turnbull, founder of Seattle's PlantAmnesty, whose mission is “to end the senseless torture and mutilation of trees and shrubs caused by mal-pruning.”
Here are Cass’ ten commandments for preventing mal-pruning and other gardening sins:
The Ten Gardener Commandments
1. Thou shalt not shear thy bush.
2. Thou shalt not top thy tree.
3. Thou shalt not plant thy sun-lover in the shade, nor thy shade-lover in the sun.
4. Thou shalt mulch.
5. Thou shalt not leave stubs.
6. Thou shalt not flush cut, neither shalt thou paint wounds.
7. Thou shalt not cover up the base of thy plant, or thy tree, or thy shrub. Neither with mulch, nor with soil, nor with any landscape material.
8. Thou shalt cut circling/girdling roots.
9. Thou shalt not compact the root zone of thy tree, nor trench near the trunk of thy tree.
10. Thou shalt not weed-whip the trunk of thy tree, nor bash it with thine mower, nor leave anything tied on thy tree or the branches of thy tree, as is done in the land of the philistines.
“Really takes the mystery out of pruning.”
“If you've ever been to a Cass Turnbull class, you’ll never forget the lessons you learned there. If you can't make her classes, or want a deeper, fuller, more explicit understanding of how to prune plants for optimal health, this book is for you.”
—Ann Lovejoy, author of The Ann Lovejoy Book of Northwest Gardening